Carbon Monoxide Safety

Older models of gas space heaters and ducted heaters are one of the major dangers in the household for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Energy Safe Victoria, the gas safety regulator, advises that small children, unborn babies, people with heart issues and the elderly are particularly susceptible to CO poisoning.

Human senses cannot detect the presence of carbon monoxide. Furthermore, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen without the immediate symptoms being obvious, or the symptoms may be confused with those of simple fatigue or a common cold. If symptoms show up it may be too late to reverse the effects of the poisoning.

Symptoms of poisoning can include:

  • headaches
  • tiredness
  • dizziness or weakness
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • loss of memory
  • confusion.
Health effects of poisoning

In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to long-term and/or irreversible health effects such as:

  • heart disease
  • brain damage
  • loss of consciousness
  • death.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic, colourless and odourless gas that can come out of many commonly used items. It can cause long-term health effects such as heart disease and brain damage and is often deadly. Learn about the hazards and some tips on how to help avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

The main cause of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is from combustion of fuels such as petrol, oil, gas and wood in areas with little or no ventilation.

  • portable cookers that use gas or kerosene
  • portable and/or outdoor heaters that use gas or kerosene
  • flued gas heaters (under certain conditions

We provide FREE CO testing for all gas appliances with all gas heating services.

CALL US TODAY on 0407394945 to book your biannual gas heater service and be safe this winter for as little as $176